Here are couple of tips that would help your Facebook from being hacked.
- Strong Passwords: Your password is the main source of access to your account. So keep it strong. Use combination of lower and upper case characters, numbers and special characters.
- Tough “secret answer”: Birthdays and pets names can be easily guessed. Hence, they are not the best secret answers.
- Run a virus scan: Update your Antivirus virus definitions before you run a scan and make sure your system doesn’t have any Viruses and Malwares.
- Enable Secure Browsing in Facebook: This would help you browse Facebook on a secure connection. You can find this setting under Account Settings -> Security -> Secure Browsing.
- Enable Login Notifications: This would help you to know if your account is being accessed by someone else from a different machine or location. You can find this setting under Account Settings -> Security -> Login Notifications.
- Avoid Facebook Apps you are unfamiliar with.
- Keep your profile information private: Keeping your profile information private would avoid hackers getting your details like birthdays and so on. This information can in turn be used to gain access to other services like email or twitter. Also, keep your personal pictures and videos private so that they are not misused.
- Don’t select “Keep me logged in” option: Make sure the “Keep me logged in” option is not selected when you access Facebook from a public computer like a cyber cafe.
- Check the Facebook URL: Once the Facebook home page is loaded. Make sure you check the URL before logging in. Viruses and Malwares can redirect you to a fake website whose look and feel are almost identical as Facebook. Use https://www.facebook.com/ instead of http, this would help you avoid landing on a Phishing site.
- Log out once you’re done: Once you’re done using Facebook, make sure you “Log Out” and not just close the browser window.